scan paper?

Search email archive for

scan paper?
Author: Marc Petitmermet    Posted: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 11:12:16 +0200
Can anybody please explain why the scan paper feature was dropped in
version 6 of EndNote (Win and Mac)? So we are restricted to using Word
X on MacOS X if we want to use EndNote for the reference management?
Anybody knows if this feature will be reinstated soon?

Regards,
Marc

scan paper?

Author: Wiedemann, Leanne    Posted: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:03:11 -0500
We are all hoping that that decision will be reversed in the next version
(it is pretty clear they aren't going to reverse it in 6).
-but ISI never shares it's upcoming plans here, or anywhere.
Please join the rest of us in bombarding the "Suggestions" e-mail address.

Author: Jeremy Wells    Posted: Fri, 2 May 2003 11:22:11 -0400
I am a little concerned that EndNote is exclusively becoming an add-on to MS
Word. I do not like the fact that in order to use EndNote, I need to use MS
Word. I'm sure there's an economic basis behind this decision; beware Mac
users because if your market share continues to decline, who knows if
EndNote will even be supported on that platform in the future. As end users,
we are loosing more and more choice every day.

In today's world, no one can escape having to use a PC. And if you have a
PC, you inevitably have to buy Microsoft software. Shouldn't the government
just get over itself and call Microsoft an arm of the government and levy a
Microsoft tax? The anti-trust measures were a joke and amounted to condoning
a monopoly. After all, we are all paying into the Microsoft coffers whether
we want to or not. Sure sounds like a tax to me.

Personally, I would love to have a version of EndNote that runs under Linux
and supports OpenOffice (or even Kword). There are bibliography managers in
Linux that are free, but they are not nearly as good as EndNote. I, for one,
would be the first on the list to buy it.

-Jeremy

Author: Tina Kimmel    Posted: Fri, 2 May 2003 10:21:08 -0700
Hi, I'm new here. I also have a Mac and don't (won't) use Word. By
the way, I HAVE successfully escaped using a PC or ANY microsoft
windows product so far (ie, since DOS).

I just had an email exchange with a tech support fellow
about this very problem. I asked jokingly if he would send me Word
since Endnote is simply a Word add-on, but he said no. His
suggestions were to run Endnote 5 under Classic mode -- just during
the citation function -- or, to borrow Word just for the citation
function -- then return to normal operation.

I suppose I can understand why ISIResearchSoft doesn't want to
develop "cite while you write" (for ANY of its bibliographic software
-- they now practically have a monopoly on the field!) for SPECIFIC
wordprocessors other than Word. BUT, how expensive is it to keep a
simple generic function like "scan paper"?? I'm certainly not a
developer, but this doesn't seem like it would be so hard. I wrote to
the suggestion box, of course.

Tina

Author: Selden Deemer    Posted: Sat, 3 May 2003 06:55:14 -0400 (
"Jeremy Wells" writes:

> I am a little concerned that EndNote is exclusively becoming an
> add-on to MS Word. I do not like the fact that in order to use
> EndNote, I need to use MS Word. I'm sure there's an economic basis
> behind this decision; beware Mac users because if your market share
> continues to decline, who knows if EndNote will even be supported
> on that platform in the future. As end users, we are loosing more
> and more choice every day.

I share your concern. Emory has had an EndNote site license since
before the ISI acquisition, and last year when EN6 came out, I
discouraged its use, except by those who really needed it, such as
MacOS X users.

Also, we are in the middle of a 30-day trial of ISI's new product,
WriteNote, which is a web-enabled sort of "Endnote Lite" aimed primarily
at undergraduate writing needs. WriteNote has great potential, but even
if it worked perfectly, we would pass on WriteNote because currently only
Windows/MSIE/Word are supported. One of the odder quirks of WriteNote is
that it doesn't support import/export directly to/from EndNote, except
through a mechanism so arcane and complex that few students are going
to figure it out.

Selden Deemer, Library Systems Administrator PHONE: 404-727-0271
Emory University Libraries FAX: 404-727-0827