APA 5th

Search email archive for

APA 5th
Author: Martha Moore    Posted: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:48:06 -0400
I have some references --government type things and unusual sources =
that
I'm having great difficulty with. Does anyone know of an excellent cite
that goes into the fine points of APA 5th. I have the style helper. I
have the site. etc.
Martha Moore

Re: APA 5th
Author: David Owen    Posted: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:25:50 -0700
At 05:48 PM 4/10/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>I have some references --government type things and unusual sources =
>that
>I'm having great difficulty with. Does anyone know of an excellent cite
>that goes into the fine points of APA 5th. I have the style helper. I
>have the site. etc.
>Martha Moore

Ther is a link from PyscWeb to several pages with examples:

http://www.psywww.com/resource/apacrib.htm

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

David J. Owen,M.L.S.,Ph.D.
Education Coordinator for the Basic Sciences
The Paul & Lydia Kalmanovitz Library and The Center for Knowledge Management
University of California, San Francisco
530 Parnassus Avenue
San Francisco, CA
USA 94143-0840
415-476-3760
Fax: 415-476-4653
/>

http://www.library.ucsf.edu/staff/owen/

"The greatest problem of today is how to teach people to ignore the
irrelevant,
how to refuse to know things, before they are suffocated. For too many
facts
are as bad as none at all." (W.H. Auden)

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_

Page Numbers in APA 5th
Author: Dan Simpson    Posted: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:21:39 -0400
I can't seem to get page numbers to stay in my citations in APA 5th. I have

tried adding them directly and by adding them in the citation information
box. While the numbers will remain for a short time if I add them directly,

when new citations are added below the page number disappears. Can anyone
offer advise. What am I doing wrong?

ARB

RE: Page Numbers in APA 5th
Author: Glen Fuller    Posted: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:34:48 +1000
Are you doing the: "Edit Citation" and then adding the page numbers into
the suffix field. Right click on the citation, and edit citation comes
up down the bottom of the menu.

Although be careful to leave at least a space when typing in the numbers
ie _22 where it is page 22 and the underscroll is the space. Otherwise
Endnote gets cranking and thinks you have too many references.

Glen.

Author: Wiedemann, Leanne    Posted: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:32:47 -0500
See my previous reply in the archives, but also check out the whole thread,
which has alternative ideas, there are also other threads on the same
subject.

http://www.researchsoftware.nl/kb/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_threaded;post=1286
6

Author: Duncan Branley    Posted: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:19:02 +0100
It might be better to put them in the Pages box not the suffix one, which
is what I think Dan is doing.

He needs to ensure that he has Cited Pages in your In-Text Citation
Template in the output style too though. This has the benefit of avoiding
the problem you indicate below.

BTW You can have pages or suffixes for each of the references in multiple
citations too, if you want.

Duncan

--On 15 April 2003 09:34 +1000 Glen Fuller wrote:

> Are you doing the: "Edit Citation" and then adding the page numbers into
> the suffix field. Right click on the citation, and edit citation comes
> up down the bottom of the menu.
>
> Although be careful to leave at least a space when typing in the numbers
> ie _22 where it is page 22 and the underscroll is the space. Otherwise
> Endnote gets cranking and thinks you have too many references.
>
> Glen.

RE: Page Numbers in APA 5th
Author: A P Lombardo    Posted: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:02:25 -0400
Hi all --

I used to add the page numbers manually through the "Edit Citation" box as a
suffix, but then someone on this list posted a better solution (can't
remember who, sorry!)

You can edit the APA 5th style template for in-text citation to add the
following:

, p.^pp. Cited Pages

i.e., (Author, Year, p.^pp. Cited Pages)

Be sure to add a 'Link adjacent text' code before the comma following the
"Year" field, before the first 'p.' and between 'pp.' and the 'Cited Pages'
field -- don't know if all of those are necessary, but it works for me. The
"^" code differentiates between p. and pp. depending on how many pages you
cite.

Then you can make your citations in text like {Surname, 2003 #13@25-35} and
it will format the citation (Surname, 2003, pp. 25-35), where "#13" is the
record number. Or you can manually add the page numbers in the "Page
numbers" field in the "Edit Citation" box. This works as well for adding
just a page number after a quote, e.g.,:

Surname (2002) found "....." (p. 25) -- just use

Hope that makes some sense!

Anthony

Author: Martha Bowes    Posted: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:56:37 -0700
Hi,

I am editing a paper that needs to be formatted in APA 5th (using Mac OS X
and Endnote 6). There are a lot of electronic source references, with
various types of source info available for each one depending on the
website. The paper was not created using Endnote or any other such software.
She is very concerned that she may not have done her references right, and I
know it can take some time to manually review all the APA 5th reference
styles to do them manually. So, I am debating loading the refs into Endnote
and inserting them into the paper and running a bibliography, then deleting
her manually inserted cites and reference list. I am interested in anyone's
experience with how well Endnote handles these (electronic sources) and
other "eccentric" references.

She also has some personal communications cites and reports that APA
requires that they be cited in text, but not in the reference list (I
haven't run across this before, but am taking her work for it for now). Does
anyone know if Endnote properly handles these "personal communication"
cites?

Thank you, Martha

RE: APA 5th and Endnote
Author: A P Lombardo    Posted: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 00:32:33 -0400
Hi Martha --

Regarding citing electronic sources: I have edited the APA 5th template in
Endote for "Electronic Sources" to the following:

Author. (|Year|,°Last Update Date|). Title|.°Retrieved°Access Date|,°Access
Year|,°from URL

(Each ° = a 'link adjacent text' code; the rest are field codes except the
words 'Retrieved' and 'from' Also, "Title" is in italics)

This works well and follows (more or less) the accepted APA 5th style,
according to their manual. I've also added the latter part onto the journal
article bib template, so that it corresponds with APA's format for on-line
journal articles.

Hope that's helpful...

Anthony

Author: Marthamoore    Posted: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 06:23:52 -0400
>Engdnote handled my apa electronic sources fine. Personal communcationn I
left in the text. The trick is that in going back and checking the URL's
aa few don't go directly to the site, so I'm having to put the main web
page with the directins to get to the link.
Government documets when there are several of them are tricky.
Martha Moore

Hi,

> I am editing a paper that needs to be formatted in APA 5th (using Mac OS
> X and Endnote 6). There are a lot of electronic source references, with
> various types of source info available for each one depending on the
> website. The paper was not created using Endnote or any other such
> software. She is very concerned that she may not have done her
> references right, and I know it can take some time to manually review
> all the APA 5th reference styles to do them manually. So, I am debating
> running a bibliography, then deleting her manually inserted cites and
> reference list. I am interested in anyone's experience with how well
> Endnote handles these (electronic sources) and other "eccentric"
> references.
>
> She also has some personal communications cites and reports that APA
> requires that they be cited in text, but not in the reference list (I
> haven't run across this before, but am taking her work for it for now).
> Does anyone know if Endnote properly handles these "personal
> communication" cites?
>
> Thank you, Martha

RE: APA 5th and Endnote
Author: Mannix, Sally    Posted: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 11:49:43 -0400
Hello Anthony,

I need an import filter that allows me to pull full records from searches in
Psycinfo into Endnote. They current filer I have seems to cut off the
titles from time to time, which causes problems when trying to eliminate
duplicates in my libraries. Would you have a filter that works for this
purpose?

Thanks,
Sally

Author: A P Lombardo    Posted: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:28:53 -0400
Hi Sally --

I'm afraid filters are a bit out of my league! I only ever use PubMed and
haven't experienced any problems of the sort you are experiencing. Sorry!

I'm sure someone else on the list will be able to help you out.

Anthony

I need an import filter that allows me to pull full records from searches in
Psycinfo into Endnote. They current filer I have seems to cut off the
titles from time to time, which causes problems when trying to eliminate
duplicates in my libraries. Would you have a filter that works for this
purpose?

Thanks,
Sally

Re: APA 5th electronic sources
Author: Patti Shank    Posted: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 09:41:40 -0600
What does the | mean in the endnote formatting?

My dissertation has TONS of electronic sources and they are truly a HUGE
pain. I have had to add additional refs because, as the APA 5th manual
shows, all these types of sources are pretty non-consistent in formatting.
For instance:

Article in Internet only journal:

Berge, Z. L. (1995). Facilitating computer conferencing: Recommendations
from the field [Electronic version]. Educational Technology, 35(1), 22-30.

Article in Internet only newsletter:

Bailey, B. (2001, December). UI design update newsletter. Human Factors
International e-Newsletter, Retrieved from:
http://www.humanfactors.com/downloads/dec01.asp

Document on university web site:

Barab, S. A., Barnett, M., Yamagata-Lynch, L., Squire, K., & Keating, T.
(2002). Using activity theory to understand the contradictions
characterizing a technology-rich introductory astronomy course. Retrieved
March 2, 2001, from Instructional Systems Technology, School of Education,
Indiana University Web site:
http://inkido.indiana.edu/research/onlinemanu/papers/acttheory.pdf

Message posted to electronic mailing list:

Anderson, T. (2002, October 3). Getting the mix right again: An updated and
theoretical rationale for interaction. Message posted to ITFORUM mailing
list, archived at http://it.coe.uga.edu/itforum/paper63/paper63.htm

My recommendation in this instance is to use the manual to do these by hand,
unless you want to make additional citation types for each of these (I have
4 or 5 more types for electronic sources. Ugh.)
Patti

Author: Matthew Molineux    Posted: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:38:13 +0100
Hi all

I have had similar frustrations with electronic sources, anyone willing to
share the customised versions of records for each of these (or at least the
most popular, eg internet only journal, webpage...)?

Matthew

Matthew Molineux, BOccThy, MSc, ILTM, AccOT, SROT
Senior Lecturer
School of Professional Health Studies
York St John College
Lord Mayor's Walk
York
YO31 7EX
UNITED KINGDOM

t 01904 716 991
f 01904 612 512

and

PhD Student
Department of Occupational Therapy
The University of Queensland
Brisbane, Australia

Author: Wiedemann, Leanne    Posted: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:29:18 -0500
The | means to only keep punctuation IF there is something in the field.
Using that way, you should be able to rationalize some of the differences
below. The first could be a conventional Journal reference, just put
[Electronic version] as a part of the title. The rest, you would use
Anthony's style and put the extra information into access date or access
year or use a modification of the style and include some extra regular or
custom fields (use the publisher field for the University source, use a
custom for the mailing list forum information), which if blank won't show
up.

Does APA really specify each of these so differently. I am SO glad I don't
have to use it!

Leanne

Author: A P Lombardo    Posted: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:01:52 -0400
Patti (and all other interested parties) --

The "|" refers to a "Forced Separation" code. Sorry for not being clear on
that one.

Anthony

What does the | mean in the endnote formatting?

My dissertation has TONS of electronic sources and they are truly a HUGE
pain. I have had to add additional refs because, as the APA 5th manual
shows, all these types of sources are pretty non-consistent in formatting.
For instance:

APA 5th--Question-Govt documents?
Author: Marthamoore    Posted: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:44:39 -0400
Any APA 5th experts?
So what would you do with this?
Dislocated workers: Comparison of Assistance Programs
1992, September 10
Briefing Report to Congressional Requesters
GA)/HRD-92-153BR
Washington, DC; U.S. Government Printing Office.

Sorry to ask such a specific questions but this has given me fits.

RE: APA 5th electronic sources