importing xml

Search email archive for

importing xml
Author: Marc Petitmermet    Posted: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:13:34 +0200
Dear List Members

How can I import xml data into EndNote? Here again a snippet of the
general xml code:

<reference type="Reference Type">
<author>Author</author>
<year>Year</year>
<title>Title</title>
</reference>

This is really well structured data! Everybody does xml so why not
EndNote? Is this somehow doable with a custom import filter?

Regards,
Marc

importing xml (II)
Author: Marc Petitmermet    Posted: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 14:25:24 +0200
Dear List Members

> How can I import xml data into EndNote? Here again a snippet of the
general xml code:
> <reference type="Reference Type">
> <author>Author</author>
> <year>Year</year>
> <title>Title</title>
> </reference>

I got the above working using the appropriate tags and field editing,
deleting all </tag>.

I could not figure out yet, how to tell EndNote to use the correct
reference type which is included in the fist tag <reference
type="Reference Type">. Any ideas?

Regards,
Marc

RE: importing xml
Author: J TenHaaf    Posted: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 18:52:18 +0200
Dear Marc,

Your primary question is easy to answer:
Create a new filter and in the 'template' section you should enter:

TAG FIELD(S)

<author> Author</author>
<year> Year</year>
<title> Title</title>

It is important to precede the author and other tags with the right number
of spaces in your filter (i used 8 here since in your mail you use a tab)!
If tabs are used in the original file that must be imported, you should
better convert these to (a number of) spaces, or even better choose 'ignore
indents' in the 'continuation lines' section.
I quickly made a filter for your little xml document, it is at the bottom of
the page:

http://www.ub.unimaas.nl/endnote/endnote_importfilters.htm

(it assumes 8 spaces before the tags).

If the <reference type="Reference Type"> attribute name is specific, then
you have the key to differentiate between reference types.

I fully agree with you second point, however: XML is much more rigid than
e.g. HTML, however creators of (xml) documents are free in their choice of
tag names: for any tag (e.g. title) one can use <title> and </title> as
tagnames but also <ti> and </ti> or, more curiously, <Title> and </Title> or
<qwerty> and </qwerty>. So one particular xml document (database) is (MUST
be) extremely well structured, two different documents may (will) be as
chalk and cheese. So there will be NO one-and-only xml importfilter for all
xml documents, but creating a xml importfilter for a particular document is
easy.
On the other hand I am looking forward to an 'xml outputstyle editor', a
sort of flexible 'xml brother' of the old fashioned (html) Reference Web
Poster software. This xml editor should enable us to create xml documents
containing endnote libraries in such a way that we (librarians, scientists,
professors) manage endnote libraries the way we do (editing, importing and
adding references) and can publish the libraries in such a way that
endusers, depending on a query they trigger in a webform, get a dynamic
presentation of the query-depending subset from the (original) endnote
library.
This approach still requires an extra export step: the optimal solution
would be a real 'xml-based-endnote' version that uses an xml document as the
primary database, so editing the database directly results in a fresh xml
document instead, or an asp-like approach.
I tried to write an xml outputstyle, but the endnote outputstyle editor
-however sophisticated- does not support such simple things as creating XML
declarations and comments.

I hope to get some support to these ideas

Jeroen

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
J.A. ten Haaf PhD, Health Sciences Librarian
Maastricht University
P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht
The Netherlands
Tel.: +31 43 3885171
Fax: +31 43 3884137
http://www.ub.unimaas.nl/ub-fdgw
http://www.ub.unimaas.nl/endnote/endnote-start.htm
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Re: importing xml
Author: Marc Petitmermet    Posted: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 22:12:03 +0200
Dear Jeroen

Thank you for your answer. For now I already have a working export and
almost working import filter. The only problem still remaining is that
I cannot figure out how to tell EndNote to apply the correct reference
type when importing the xml file.

> It is important to precede the author and other tags with the right
> number
> of spaces in your filter (i used 8 here since in your mail you use a
> tab)!

I have found out so far that EndNote cannot work with the tabs. In the
meantime I just have removed them.

> If the <reference type="Reference Type"> attribute name is specific,
> then
> you have the key to differentiate between reference types.

I tried to do the following without success:

TAG FIELD(s)
<reference type=" Reference Type

All imported references were of the default reference type instead of
e.g. Edited Book.

> This approach still requires an extra export step: the optimal solution
> would be a real 'xml-based-endnote' version that uses an xml document
> as the
> primary database, so editing the database directly results in a fresh
> xml
> document instead, or an asp-like approach.

Oh yessss. I would definitively vote for that, just a simple xml text
file.

Regards,
Marc

RE: importing xml
Author: Lisa Jackson Pulver    Posted: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:01:13 +1000
Hi
I have just 'upgraded' from Endnote for Mac to the Windows environment.
I have had my work on a windows machine for a while, and have had no
problem.... until now.
I have EndNote6 on my XP pro OS and Word2002. When I try to format my
bibliography the Endnote gets half way through, Word spontaneously quits
and I end up with some error.
I have broken the document into smaller parts, and still get the same
problem.
Does anyone have any ideas... the document is a 100K thesis, over 1000