web posting..is there NO hope??

Search email archive for

web posting..is there NO hope??
Author: Nathan Cherny    Posted: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 22:33:36 +0200
Dear Endnote Users
I still have not found a solution to the problem of posting an endnote
bibliography on the web in a searchabe format.

I hope you will all excuse the repitition, but I really do need help on
this.

Thanks

Nathan I Cherny
Director Cancer Pain and Palliative Medicine
Shaare Zedek Medical center
Jerusalem
Tel 011 972 68 685780
Fax 011 972 2 6666731
E Mail />

RE:web posting..is there NO hope??
Author: Croft, Janet B    Posted: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 08:11:08 -0500
I missed this the first time around. What kind of searching do you want
people to be able to do? If you post it as a text file, they ought to be
able to search the document using the ctrl-F search function.

Janet Croft
University of Oklahoma

Author: Alison Clapp    Posted: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 17:41:09 -0400
I also want to put up an EndNote Library on the web which will be
searchable. I agree iwith you that I wish ISI would work on and make
available again their Reference Web Poster. As an alternative my
Information Services Dept. is working on a web interface for me. I have
supplied them with a quoted -delimited output and am waiting to hear from
them.

Alison Clapp
Children's Hospital Boston
617-355-7232
/>

Author: Wiedemann, Leanne    Posted: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 09:15:23 -0500
Another member of the user group (see
http://www.researchsoftware.nl/kb/gforum.cgi?post=12945 suggested looking at
Biblioscape and when I just visited the web site, it looks like they have a
free package (see http://www.biblioscape.com/biblioexpress.htm) which should
do what you want. It looks like you would export your data using the refer
style. I haven't tried it, but if it is free, and you are willing to spend
a bit of time, that is the way I would go? Even their products are not too
expensive (because I guess the free product is an older version and might
disappear too). I am surprised that the ISI product is no longer available,
but I guess there wasn't much of a market for it? But then, why not do the
same and make it free???

ISI- comments???

Author: Linda Slater    Posted: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:05:54 -0600
Nathan,
The BiblioWeb component of the web-based citation management software
Biblioscape allows you to post searchable databases on the web. This would
require that you purchase a license for Biblioscape and convert the files
you wish to make web accessible to Biblioscape. I have not tried converting
EndNote files to Biblioscape, but I did this with ProCite files, and it is
quite simple. Biblioscape has an EndNote import filters, so assuming
converting EndNote records would be as simple as importing them into
Biblioscape using the EndNote import filter.

The price of the program varies depending on which edition you buy. You
would need to buy either the Librarian or Professional version to get
BiblioWeb, and if you need more than 3 simultaneous read or write users, you
can pay an additional fee for this.

For more information about this product see:
http://www.biblioscape.com/index.html. Pricing information is available at
http://www.biblioscape.com/purchase.htm.

I hope this provides you with at least some hope.

Linda Slater
Reference Coordinator
John W. Scott Health Sciences Library
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB T6G 2R7
Tel: 780-492-7948
Fax: 780-492-6960
Email: />

Author: Niels Agger-Gupta    Posted: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 15:16:55 -0700
Nathan and Linda,
Another online product you might consider is RefWorks, which allow you
to upload an EndNote library. You would "select" your entire database
and output to the "RefMan (RIS) Export" format - already included in the
EndNote output styles library. This product requires you as the author
to take out a membership but then allows you to give read-only access to
whomever you want with a special password. People with read-only access
can then do extensive searches of your database and output into
virtually any format. They give you a 30 day free membership to try this
out. Here is the URL:
http://www.refworks.com/

Best wishes,
Niels Agger-Gupta, PhD.

Shareworks Associates
927 West Valerio St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
email: /> 805-637-3012 (office/cell)
805-898-0206 (home)
805-898-7016 (fax)

Author: James G Downward    Posted: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:54:18 -0400
Nathan

Use of an Apple .Mac account with its network accessible iDisk should
allow an easy way to post searchable Endnote reference databases.

The iDisk uses WebDAV protocol and looks and acts exactly like a
local disk when it is accessed from a Macintosh or PC. It has a
public access folder into which you would place one or more Endnote
reference files. Apple provides a free downloadable iDisk utility
which allows WindowsXP users to easily mount and use an iDisk.

Information on obtaining a .Mac account ($99/year) can be found at
http://www.mac.com.

Jim Downward
--
| James G. Downward, Ph.D. | Voice: (734)-995-9338 x13 |
| IA, Inc. (ThreeFold Sensors) | FAX: (734)-995-6869 |