downloaded pdb files

Search email archive for

downloaded pdb files
Author: Leslie Kinsland    Posted: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 05:17:09 -0500
Is there a way to add a field or link to an EndNote reference to have
it open or at least find the downloaded pdf file associated with the
reference? My boss is using Mac OS 9.2 and EndNote 4, but might be
willing to upgrade to have this feature to manage his pdf files.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide.
Leslie

RE: downloaded pdb files
Author: Wiedemann, Leanne    Posted: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 16:53:44 -0500
yes, in Endnote 6, this is achievable. You have to modify the reference
type, to include the field invented for figures and images, which I call
PDF. Then insert object and browse to the current location of the PDF,
double click. You end up with a folder in the folder that the endnote
library is stored in, which has all the pdf (and images or whatever objects
you insert into your records, which needs to be moved, copied with the
endnote library itself (if you copy the library from the files menu, this is
automatically duplicated as well. You can discard the original pdf file
unless you have some other reason to keep it.

Even in Endnote4, there is a work around, as you can insert the file link
into the URL, but I find the endnote6 feature of inserting the file itself,
much easier.

Author: Henry Olders    Posted: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 19:06:41 -0500
EndNote 6 on Mac OS 10 allows you to use the "image" field to store a
file, including a pdf file. Double-clicking on the icon which you see
when you open a reference for editing, will open a pdf file in your
default pdf reader, eg Acrobat Reader.

Henry