In-text citation edit

Search email archive for

In-text citation edit
Author: Arwen Spicer BI    Posted: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:43:25 +0100
Hi,

I have a user who wishes to make an edit to the in-text citation, so that it
looks like this:
(Evans 1996, Figure 4.5)
However, if he reformats his bibliography, it obviously reverts to this:
(Evans 1996)
Does anyone know of a way to retain this edit? Or is his only option to wait
until he has formatted his bibliography for the final time and then do the
edit?

Many thanks,

********************************
Arwen Spicer
Library Assistant
The Babraham Institute
UK
Email: /> **********************************
The contents of this e-mail are the views of the sender and do not
necessarily represent the views of The Babraham Institute or of BBSRC. This
e-mail is confidential. It should not be read, copied, disclosed or used by
any person other than the intended recipient. Unauthorised use, disclosure
or copying by whatever medium is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If
you have received this e-mail in error please contact the sender immediately
and delete the e-mail from your system. Although we have taken steps to
check that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise
that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should also
ensure they are actually virus free.

RE: In-text citation edit
Author: Wiedemann, Leanne    Posted: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:58:34 -0500
Did they try Edit Citation? (select the formated citation and right click
or, go to Format menu, Endnote menu, (show all options, if not defaulted to)
first option in second set. put the additional info in the suffix spot.

Author: Henry Olders    Posted: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:31:28 -0400
> Hi,
>
> I have a user who wishes to make an edit to the in-text citation, so that
> it
> looks like this:
> (Evans 1996, Figure 4.5)
> However, if he reformats his bibliography, it obviously reverts to this:
> (Evans 1996)
> Does anyone know of a way to retain this edit? Or is his only option to
> wait
> until he has formatted his bibliography for the final time and then do the
>
> edit?

Try editing the reference type table to include one of the custom fields for
the reference type in question. In the reference itself, put the text
"Figure 4.5" into the new custom field. Edit the citation template in the
output style being used, to add the new custom field, eg (Author Year Custom
2).

Alternately, you can edit the citation. Here is the relevant help file text
from EndNote 6 for macintosh, found under the heading "customizing
individual citations". Your user wants to add a suffix:

There may be cases where you want individual citations to differ from the
standard format. You may want to remove the year or author from a citation
if either was mentioned in the context of the sentence. Or, you might want
to add a page reference or comment before or after the citation.
For example, assume a formatted citation looks like this: Hall's discovery
(Hall, 1988)
* You can omit the author's name from the citation: ...Hall's
discovery (1988)
* You can omit the date from the citation: ...the 1988 discovery
(Hall)
* You can add a suffix and page number to the citation: ...the
discovery (Hall, 1988 p.4)
* You can add a prefix to the citation: ...the discovery (see Hall,
1988)
To customize a formatted citation:
1. Insert and format the citation.
2. Click on the citation.
3. From Word's Tools menu, go to the EndNote 6 submenu and select Edit
Citation(s) to display the EndNote Edit Citation dialog.
4. If the citation is part of a multiple citation, several references
will be listed in the left column of the dialog. Make sure the citation you
want to customize is highlighted.
5. Customize as needed:
Exclude Author: Select this to omit the author name from the
formatted citation.
Exclude Year: Select this to omit the date from the formatted
citation.
Prefix: Enter text here to print immediately before the citation
text (spaces are significant).
Suffix: Enter text here to print immediately after the citation
text (spaces are significant).
Pages: Enter page numbers here to print as directed by the current
output style. The Cited Pages field must be included for printing in the
In-Text Citation Template of the output style.
Up and Down Arrows: In a multiple citation, highlight a reference
and use the arrows to change the order of display.
6. Click OK to implement the change(s) to the citation.

Copyright Thomson ISI 2002

Re: In-text citation edit
Author: Darris J Brock    Posted: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:02:57 -0400
I'm using Endnote 6 and WordPerfect 10, so I can't do what you want.
But if your person is using Word and Endnote 6 then it should work. See
page 241 for
Citation Prefixes and 242 for Citation Suffixes. If the temporary
citation is {Evans, 1996, Figure 4.5} it should work. The second comma
(after 1996 in this case) tells Endnote to print the rest as text. So
your person should get (Evans, 1996 Figure 4.5). That is close to what
is below. But if your person needs the comma, it should appear if the
temporary citation is {Evans, 1996,, Figure 4.5} That should give
(Evans, 1996, Figure 4.5) at least as I understand it.

**********************************

--
Grace & Peace,
Darris.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
-- Red Green's Possum Lodge Credo

--------------020101020608030409070905

<head>

<title></title>
</head>
I'm using Endnote 6 and WordPerfect 10, so I can't do what you want.
&nbsp;But
if your person is using Word and Endnote 6 then it should work. &nbsp;See
page
241 for <br>
temporary
citation is {Evans, 1996, Figure 4.5} it should work. &nbsp;The second comma
(after
1996 in this case) tells Endnote to print the rest as text. &nbsp;So your
person
should get &nbsp;(Evans, 1996 Figure 4.5). &nbsp;That is close to what is
below. &nbsp;But
if your person needs the comma, it should appear if the temporary citation
is {Evans, 1996,, Figure 4.5} That should give (Evans, 1996, Figure 4.5)
at least as I understand it. <br>
arwen spicer (BI) wrote:<br>
/> <pre wrap="">Hi,

I have a user who wishes to make an edit to the in-text citation, so that it
looks like this:
(Evans 1996, Figure 4.5)
However, if he reformats his bibliography, it obviously reverts to this:
(Evans 1996)
Does anyone know of a way to retain this edit? Or is his only option to wait
until he has formatted his bibliography for the final time and then do the
edit?

Many thanks,

********************************
Arwen Spicer
Library Assistant
The Babraham Institute
UK
Email: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
/> **********************************
The contents of this e-mail are the views of the sender and do not
necessarily represent the views of The Babraham Institute or of BBSRC. This
e-mail is confidential. It should not be read, copied, disclosed or used by
any person other than the intended recipient. Unauthorised use, disclosure
or copying by whatever medium is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If
you have received this e-mail in error please contact the sender immediately
and delete the e-mail from your system. Although we have taken steps to
check that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise
that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should also
ensure they are actually virus free.

</pre>
Grace &amp; Peace,<br>
Darris.<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://djbrock.hypermart.net">http://djbrock.hypermart.net</a><br>
<i>"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
undergo
the fatigue of supporting it."</i><br>
Thomas Paine (1737-1809)<br>
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"<br>
-- Red Green's Possum Lodge Credo </div>

Author: Wiedemann, Leanne    Posted: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:58:34 -0500

Author: Henry Olders    Posted: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:31:28 -0400

Author: Wiedemann, Leanne    Posted: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:58:34 -0500

Author: Henry Olders    Posted: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:31:28 -0400